Friday, July 9, 2010

Transportation

This is one of the problems that I am running into more than I would like. I don’t have a car, and as much as I would like one, I can’t have it. Having to pay for insurance, petrol, registration, plus any other expenses is too much for me to handle on top of my everyday living expenses and Uni fees. Just writing about this has left me fantasizing about life with a car. I wouldn’t have to bum rides off of my friend, pay for expensive taxis, or take the bus. Having a car opens up what feels like a million other opportunities, but you have to be realistic and understand what you are able to handle financially.

In the meantime my most common mode of transport is the bus! I totally recommend it and would advise all of you to go to the Student Association and apply for a Tertiary Transport Card. With it you get a concession, and an all day pass for all of the zones is only $2.40

Most of the time this a totally adequate mode of transportation, except for the rare moments when it doesn’t come at all…yes readers it’s true! I have been left basically stranded by the bus system not one…not two…I wish I could say three but no, its actually been four different occasions! Although it is times like these that make me really want to tell the bus company exactly how I feel about them, it is best to keep calm.

Now I know that it sounds selfish, but making a friend who has a car never hurt anyone. Having had so much experience dealing with a crisis like this, I am happy to share some of my expertise.

1) First of all make sure you get a bus timetable, in fact get a couple. I keep one in both my purses and my backpack. Hopefully you’ll be able to use that and find your way to another bus stop or figure out if another bus is going to be headed your way

2) Keep in mind that often the buses are running a little behind schedule. There has been one time that I thought my bus to Uni wasn’t coming and just as I started walking home it showed up

3) Write down the phone numbers of your most reliable friends and keep them somewhere you know you can get to in case of an emergency.

4) Keep some spare change in your wallet; it’s only 50 cents to make a phone call from a payphone.

5) Always be kind to your bus driver. There has been a couple of times that when my bus didn’t come, another bus driver recognized me and offered to give me a ride home. They know I’m just a “silly Yank” and luckily they keep an eye out for me.

I hope that all of you make it through issue free, but if you run into trouble, I understand your frustration. With that in mind put it behind you and move on, you are here to enjoy yourself!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Mallory!
    I'm guilty of resorting to the 'easy' solution of having a car... but wanted to ask if you tried biking around in Rocky when you first came? (I remember you were looking for a 2nd hand bike aaages ago) I wonder what your experience was like?
    I think in this cooler weather it could be a good option if I can stop being lazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good information, Mallory! I did not know about this Terciary? (What does it mean?) card. I feel like you, although I'm not a Yank... Yes, as Jacqui suggests, we might get a bike... Many thanks! Jesus

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the comments! I do have a bike that I am loaning off of my landlord. It takes me about 30 min to get to Uni from my house and I'm usually a little too lazy for that... I do ride it to work though!

    Jesus, if you decide to get a bike you should know that it is Queensland law to wear a helmet so make sure you invest in that aswell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I'm already have a bike... with a helmet! I'm ready to cycle Queensland!

    ReplyDelete