Over that last few months, I have noticed that every day I find something new that I didn't used to do. I think that I am actually becoming more Australian. Now don't get me wrong, I will definitely not be indulging in a Vegemite sandwich any time soon but slowly the little things are starting to creep up on me.
When I went home to America for the holidays last year, my friends and family were really surprised that my American accent was still intact. I always felt it would be really fake for me to come back after only six months and have picked up an accent, because I am not Australian. However since I have come back here and started working in a restaurant, I have found it easier to just submit to the Australian pronunciations of most words like Basil, Cilantro (Coriander), Bell Peppers (Capsicum), etc. But with those changes more of the Australian language has been added into my vocabulary. Recently, "G'Day" slipped out in conversation without me even realizing it. And yesterday I said "aye". Never did I think I would end up integrating myself in that sense. Not that I am opposed to integration at all, I have accepted everything that Australia has offered me with open arms. However, even though both countries speak English, the language is still different and my language was something I could hold onto from home.
Thursday, August 19, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment